Thursday, May 20, 2010

New paper - Strathmore 400 series cold press watercolor pad

I've been working 'wet' lately, doing ink washes with gobs of water and the bristol board I've used was getting all warped. So to combat this I am trying out some new paper. First is the Strathmore 400 series Cold press Watercolor paper. Really heavy duty, comes in a 12x17 spiral pad.



I did this sketch of some roach dudes with brushes, Rosemary and Co Series 33 size 2 for the lines and size 4 for the wash.



The paper held up great to the washes. It's pretty toothy and seemed to soak up a lot more water then the bristol so I had to mix more washes and dip my brush more. Pretty nice though and held up better for this type of work then the bristol.

1 comment:

Matt D. said...

I picked up the same paper last week to test out. I haven't tried it yet, but I really excited--and seeing your sketches makes me wanna go kick the tires right now!