Tuesday, January 06, 2009

inking tools

Inking. I have no idea what tools to use so one month I am dedicated to pens and nibs, the next month I go nuts on markers and brush pens, then the brush. Over the past year or two, I have settled on using markers and brush pens for sketches and using nib-pens and brushes for more formal/finished work.

What I like so far is the nib pens and brushes mostly becuase the ink itself just looks so much better on the page then the ink in markers. However the markers and brush pens are easier to use and have a lot less mess. Also everything is scanned in and the quality of the black is lost in that process anyway for the most part so maybe that doesn't matter (?).

So over the last week I was looking at some comics and decided to try and figure out what tools the artists are using.

The two artists I started with are Yukito Kishiro and Sean Phillips.

Over at Sean Phillip's blog he posts some examples of his work

So his work is great of course and he has a real loose style which I love. from reading the comments people ask him what tools he uses and he mentioned Copic markers for "pencils"; Staedtler pigment liners and Pentel brush pens for inks.

Kishiro does my favorite manga - Battle Angel Alita. The story is ok but his designs and drawings are great. His website "yukitopia" has a section that shows his studio. In there he has a picture of some of his tools.

In his pens tray he has 6 nib-pens. 2 crowquills, an 801 Hiro Leonardt, and 3 tachikawa "G" pens.





More later...

No comments: